Monday, August 27, 2007

Living in the Country


Well, here I am -- moved and ready to "start" my new job tomorrow. I am only going to work 60%, leaving me 2 more days a week to write. So far I've been so busy moving and settling in that I haven't had much time to spend on my writing, but I'm getting there. Meanwhile, I know now what it really means to move to the country--small town USA. Everyone here drives a pick up and usually there are dog crates in the back. The closest thing to culture is mud bogging. It is a committment to go to Wal-Mart and the nearest Barnes & Noble is an hour away. What was I thinking? And I am sure that by the end of the month I will know all the particulars of hog hunting which might be an interesting tidbit I could add to a book one day. So at least I guess I was right, I'll have more time to write--certainly won't be in a whirlwind of social life. Oh, and I shouldn't forget to tell you this. When I use my debit card at the nearest grocery store, I don't get asked to put in my pin number. I get asked for my secret code. But the scenery is wonderful, the wildlife abundant, and there is plenty of peace and quiet to go around. It takes 10 minutes to put the boat in the Gulf of Mexico, so I really don't have anything to complain about. I just have to acclimate.

10 comments:

Mark Combes said...

Lynn~

If you are only 10 minutes from the Gulf, then I think you've found a slice of Heaven!

Good luck darlin'!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

I agree with Mark (as I sit here listening to traffic and sirens), a slice of heaven and plenty of new material!

Enjoy your new home, Lynn.

Keith Raffel said...

Twenty years ago without the Web, cellphones, NetFlix, one could feel isolated out in the sticks -- for good and bad. No more. You can be plugged in wherever you are. Have fun.

Nina Wright said...

Welcome to what many call the good life, Lynn! Though raised in the city, I lived ten years of my adult life in rural Michigan and four years in the hills of central West Virginia. Ergo, I know the ins and outs of country living. At least where you are, you won't have winter white-outs and frozen toilets to deal with. But if you have questions about anything else--from septic systems to propane tanks to wildlife that migrates indoors--feel free to ask this writer, who now lives happily in the city again. Oh, and don't forget to look up at night. Lack of light pollution may be the single best reason for getting out of the city. My oh my, what a sky!

Nina Wright

Candy Calvert said...

Congratulations on having more time to write, Lynn--that's so great!
And welcome to the country life; it is . . uh . . . interesting. Yesterday I posted on my own blog about my recent brush with country creatures: green lizard, followed by squeaking furry rodent, immediately followed by 4 foot snake, scaring up 2 large bullfrogs. Then a gecko in my towel, and a scorpion on my kitchen floor. All within a few hours!

Mark Terry said...

An hour from the nearest bookstore is a bitch. Thank God for Amazon.

Felicia Donovan said...

Good luck in the new place, Lynn and enjoy the added writing time.

I love country living - black bears, moose, spring peepers, trees and nature abound. Had my fill of crowds and the city life growning up. Green Acres is the place for me...

Deb Baker said...

Once you get used to it, you'll never consider going back.

Kathryn Lilley said...

Squinty eyed, I am currently contemplating moving from urban paradise (southern California, by the beach) to rural Connecticut (where I have historical and family ties). Why am I thinking about making such a move? There must be some magnet, some draw, there. Go forth, Lynn, and explore!

G.M. Malliet said...

You're living everyone's dream, it sounds like.