Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Balance

Writing and promotion. Work and fun. Family, job, creative pursuits. Home crafts, research, gardening, friends. House renovation. Volunteer work.

Just a few of the things we all have to juggle. Lately I’ve been thinking about how to keep a sense of balance in the day-to-day. It's an ongoing challenge, but at least I'm getting better at it.

At least I think so.

I love my life, which is very full and extremely varied. I make time for what’s important, but often I have to pull back and objectively reassess what's important. I want it all, but know better than to think I can have it all NOW. Sometimes priorities change. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary. So far it’s never it's been my writing, and I can’t imagine that it ever will be.

How do you balance the demands in your life? How do you make sure there’s always time for writing? Is it easier for men than women? What sacrifices do you make?

6 comments:

Keith Raffel said...

Wouldn't it be nice to have an assistant (like the really big deal authors do) to help with all that juggling? Sigh.

Bill Cameron said...

I don't balance things very well. The thing that slips most is sleep, and after that, honestly, things like actual writing and promotion. Keeping a roof over our head and taking care of family comes first.

G.M. Malliet said...

I don't sacrifice anything, which is why it's always a bit of a circus. I may pass on some kind of evening event, but mostly, I try to fit it all in.

I'm not recommending this way of life, I'm just saying.

I think women, especially women with young kids, are always caught in a juggling act. I'm in awe of the many women on this blog who are doing the job of 3 or more people at any given time.

Dana Fredsti said...

I'm in the Camp of Cameron on this one... except sleep is a priority for me. Without it, I can't focus, let alone write... I think scheduling a set amount of time in the evenings (if you are unfortunate enough to require a dayjob, as I am)and weekends for promotion/online activity and time for creative writing is the only way to find any balance at all.

Mark Terry said...

This probably explains why I keep falling down all the time.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Right now in my life my priorities are 1) day job because they pay me and I love material things like a roof and food; 2) my writing because I love it and hope it will pay me; and 3) book promotion because without it #2 is for naught.

Everything else falls below that, but in a highly scheduled way. So the house is a bit grubby and I've missed most of the latest movies. And if I were married, I'm sure there would be a divorce pending.

But I'm having a hell of a time!