All art forms have paid tribute to pets with personality. From books to movies, to the paintings hung throughout the world's museums, dogs and cats have been a part of our creative expression as long as they've been by our side as companions. And why not? These creatures color our lives. There's nothing quite like a cat on the lap or a dog gazing up at his owner with a pair laughing, liquid eyes. And owning a pet lowers blood pressure and increases life expectancy, so it's no surprise they appear in so many novels.
I have three cats, but grew up in a house filled with both cats and dogs. As a result, I adore them both. Whenever I dream up a new character, I ponder what kind of pet they'd own. After all, without a furry friend, my characters would never know the same joyful companionship I've known.
So what fictional animals have influenced the importance I place on the pets in my novels? Here's a short list. I'd adopt any one of these darlings!
1. Asta (the wire-hair Fox Terrier of the Thin Man)
2. Sandy, the faithful dog by Annie's side
3. Charley of John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley
4. The lovable mixed breed in Because of Winn-Dixie
5. Toto of Wizard of Oz
6. The beagle pup of Shiloh
7. All of the Aristocats
8. Amber - The Cat From Outer Space
9. All of the cats petted by the bad guy sin James Bond movies
10. The cats in Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams
Who's your favorite famous pet?