Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Blessed with "Bigmouths"

I signed a contract with Midnight Ink for books three and four in my Broken Vows mystery series. Pretty exciting considering the first book, For Better, For Murder, only came out in September. Given the continued interest in the series, that book must be doing all right. What a relief!

I need to thank my “bigmouths:” the people who talked up my book, some more excited than me to see it in print. My apologies if I miss anyone—and thank you, too.

First, the reviewers: Kirkus Reviews, CrimeSpree Magazine, Booklist, BookPage, Mystery News, Mystery Scene, Cozy Library, The Mystery Reader, and Once Upon A Romance. I credit my publicist, Courtney Kish, for seeking the attention of so many including The Finger Lakes Times and The Naples Record, distributed in the region where my series is set. In turn, a librarian who read about my book in The Finger Lakes Times invited me to speak at her library. Love it when promotion snowballs!

Then the librarians. Our local librarian took my book flyer to a countywide librarian meeting. Next thing I know, my book’s on loan in multiple branches and our town library held their first local author signing and book sale—and I was invited! Sweet!

And the booksellers. When I arrived at my second book signing, a woman was waiting. She said she comes to the bookseller every week and the manager puts the newest mystery releases in her hand. Mine was one. Great to know the booksellers are on the job!

And my family. I’m not much of talker, but I’m blessed with a family of them. My dad gave bookmarks to restaurant waitresses and his exercise class. My aunt used this sales pitch: “My niece just published her first book, and you must buy it.” Under anesthesia in November, she pitched her nurse. My mother-in-law purchased more books than anyone else. My brother put me on his Facebook page. That’s how we learned his classmate from high school works for Llewellyn. Small world! A cousin selected my book for her book club discussion. My husband offered bookmarks to all his office visits and posted online announcements to his car buddies. Even my kids told their teachers.

Last, but not least, my friends. My fellow writers and critique partners took my bookmarks on vacation to Mexico and Florida, left them on subway trains, and carried them to mystery conferences. One sent my book overseas to the troops. My book club attended my first book signing, bringing their friends and relatives. My neighbors put my book on their Facebook pages. I was invited to guest blog and recommended through online lists and discussions. Best of all, my friends bought and read the book and suggested other people read it, too. Awesome!

All this leaves me grateful and with ample time to polish book four. Book three is done. I just wanted to be sure to thank my “bigmouths” and wish them—and you—a very Happy New Year!!!!

14 comments:

Alan Orloff said...

What great news, Lisa! Congratulations!!

Sounds like you have a terrific cheering section, and it sure makes an author's promotion job a lot easier when everyone jumps into the act. Be sure to buy them all some chocolate!

G.M. Malliet said...

I love this: "Under anesthesia in November, she pitched her nurse."

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Hurray! And don't forget--you worked VERY hard!

kmwhelan said...

Lisa,

It has been my privilege to watch this series blossom. I couldn't be happier for you! Congratulations!!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

You've got a great support network and a great promo network, too! Congratulations on the series.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Cricket McRae said...

Congrats, Lisa -- on the series, your success, and your wonderful support network!

Supriya said...

Not only do you have a great series of books but wonderful to help you celebrate your success. I'm so happy for you! Congrats!

Supriya said...

Oops, I meant to say wonderful PEOPLE to help you celebrate! ;)

Trina said...

Yeah, but you did all the hard work (even if you make it look easy!). Congratulations and I'm looking forward to lots and lots more books.

Beth Groundwater said...

Congratulations on the new contract, Lisa! As you know, I recently read FOR BETTER, FOR MURDER, really enjoyed it and gave it a good rating on Goodreads. It's getting my nom for the Best First Novel Agatha Award, too. :)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Big Congratulations, Lisa! May your "bigmouths" keep singing your praises and may you continue to produce great books.

Deborah Sharp said...

Proves the old adage true about word of (big) mouth being the best promo. good post, Lisa!

Keith Raffel said...

Lisa, great news about books 3 and 4. Congrats and continued and greater success.

June Shaw said...

Lisa, what terrific helpers you have - for your wonderful work! I can't be happier for you. Fantastic!