Wednesday, December 15, 2010

TIS THE SEASON (To Be Thankful)

Darrell James

The holiday season has a way of making us turn introspective and take time to ponder all the wonderful blessings in our lives. People are the blessings.

This season will usher in the year of my debut novel, something that I have worked long and hard for. Not alone, I understand. I have been ferried to this place and time in my life on the wings of many, many others. The people who touch my life.

I suppose I first have to offer praise to my mother and father. They were humble folks from the hills of Kentucky who entered life with little more than grit and determination, and a hope and dream of a better life for themselves and for their children. I was the last of seven children to be born, spread out over twenty-two years. I’ve always felt that I received the greater benefit of our parents wisdom and maturity. They were expectant grandparents by the time I came along.







(Father Roy, Mother Minnie, oldest Sister Crystal )






Though their limited education didn’t allow them to outline a path to success, I was always told that I could do, AND BE, anything I wanted. I just had to be willing to work for it.

WORK was the defining value they taught. And LEARNING. We were encouraged to read from a very early age. With few books in the house, I recall stealing my older sister’s school library books. I grew up absorbed in such classic tales as Little Women, Gone With The Wind, The Great Gatsby…

I cherish my siblings. While they were all older, they always made time for nurturing their younger brother. How can you go wrong with four extra mothers. They are the ones I have always primarily worked to please and make proud.

I have also been blessed with a wonderful loving daughter and two totally fabulous grandchildren. These are both of college age (yes college). One has recently graduated.

Then above all, I am thankful for my mate. My wife, my lover, Diana, has not only been my guiding star but the sun ray that warms my path. We’ve shared many adventures over the past twenty-seven years. And on the day I declared that I was going to become a published author, she took my hand and joined me in my quest, creating PRme Promotions as my publicist. These days she not only works to promote me, but represents a number of our author friends in the mystery community. I would be lost without her. I’m guessing a few others might say the same.

Blessed.

As I have said, this holiday season passing will usher in the year of my debut novel. And while I have been blessed with the best family in the world, I would be remiss not to give recognition to the many people who have influenced me and helped me along the way. Generous and caring friends who have mentored and supported me unselfishly—many within our own writer community—too numerous to name. But to all of you (you know who you are) I give my thanks and commit my friendship in return. I hold you all in loving regard.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. I have my village. It’s a wonderful village. And this holiday season I’m using this post to publicly say thanks.





Have a Happy Holiday Season and A Wonderful New Year, All.

I know I will.

(Midnight Ink will publish the first in Darrell’s Del Shannon series of mysteries in September 2011.)

10 comments:

Lisa Bork said...

Happy holidays, Darrell! Nice post.

Vicki Doudera said...

From the heart. Loved it -- thanks.

Lois Winston said...

Lovely post, Darrell. Happy holidays!

G.M. Malliet said...

What a lovely tribute.

We none of us got here alone (it just felt like it some days). This was such a nice and gracious reminder.

Alan Orloff said...

You had me fooled, Darrell. I didn't realize you were such a sensitive guy.

Happy Holidays!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Lovely post, Darrell. And I'm one of those who would be lost without(and am thankful for) your honey. XOXOXO

Darrell James said...

Thanks Lisa, Vicki, Lois and Gin! I really hope your Holidays are filled with joy! Best wished for the New Year!

Alan- I'm working on it, but you wouldn't know it from my fiction. Happy Holidays!

Sue Ann- We'd be lost without you too!

Terri Bischoff said...

Wonderful post Darrell! And somehow I knew you were a big ole softie. I totally want to adopt you as my dad!

Have a wonderful holiday! :D

Darrell James said...

Terri- You've already adopted me as one of your authors:) Have a great holiday! I'm looking forward to next year!

Kathleen Ernst said...

What a lovely post! The sentiments and family photo are wonderful. Huge congrats on your debut, too!