Wednesday, March 6, 2013

CREWEL INTENTIONS


by Lois Winston

I don’t like change. I much prefer the security and comfort of habit. So when I’m forced to make a change, the decision is one that takes much soul-searching and deliberation on my part. I’m not the kind of person who climbs a mountain just because it’s there. I need a really good reason to step out of my comfort zone, lace up my hiking boots, and ascend upwards into the unknown.

Unfortunately, the publishing industry is fraught with change lately. Gone are the days when an author had a home for life and the people she worked with at the publishing house became like a second family to her. These days there’s a lot of divorce going on in publishing. More and more authors are being dropped because their sales aren’t strong enough. Or authors decide for various reasons that they need to leave their publisher. Both situations are very scary for the author. No matter which party institutes the divorce proceedings, fear of the unknown can overwhelm an author.

Several months ago I realized I needed to institute a change in my life. I didn’t want to, but after countless weeks of soul-searching, I knew it was time to climb the mountain. So I laced up those hiking boots and decided not to sign another contract with Midnight Ink for more Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery books.

However, Revenge of the Crafty Corpse, which came out in January, will not be the last book in the series. Hopefully, Anastasia and I will find another home. We’re looking. Along with all the negative change in the publishing industry lately, there are also opportunities opening for authors that never existed prior to a few years ago. If all else fails, I’ll be able to publish more Anastasia books on my own. Anastasia has a lot more of her story yet to tell, and I fully plan to tell it.

To that end, I recently published Crewel Intentions, an Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mini-Mystery. Crewel Intentions is a 10,000 word short story that takes Anastasia on a side adventure.

Crewel Intentions sells for $1.99 and is available only as an ebook. I plan to write more mini-mysteries. I’m also working on Book 4, the next book in the main series. Time will tell if that book is published by a traditional publisher or in the brave new world of indie publishing. It all depends on what I find at the top of the mountain.

Crewel Intentions Blurb:

In this short story addition to the critically acclaimed Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery series, crafts editor and reluctant amateur sleuth Anastasia Pollack receives a desperate phone call from former American Woman fashion editor Erica Milano. Erica is now in Witness Protection and living under a new identity in Western Pennsylvania. But someone is stalking her, and Erica has compelling reasons why she can’t go to the police or notify her Witsec handlers. Anastasia is the only person she can trust to help her, and she knows Anastasia won’t let her down. After all, Erica once saved Anastasia’s life. But will Anastasia be able to return the favor before the stalker strikes?

Crewel Intentions is available for Kindle, Nook, and Kobo.

Award-winning author Lois Winston writes the critically acclaimed Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery series featuring magazine crafts editor and reluctant amateur sleuth Anastasia Pollack. Assault With a Deadly Glue Gun, the first book in the series, received starred reviews from both Publishers Weekly and Booklist. Kirkus Reviews dubbed it, “North Jersey’s more mature answer to Stephanie Plum.” The series also includes Death By Killer Mop Doll, Revenge of the Crafty Corpse and Crewel Intentions, an Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mini-Mystery.

Lois is also published in women’s fiction, romance, romantic suspense, and non-fiction under her own name and her Emma Carlyle pen name. In addition, she’s an award-winning crafts and needlework designer and an agent with the Ashley Grayson Literary Agency. She’s also the author of the recently released Top Ten Reasons Your Novel is Rejected. Visit Lois at http://www.loiswinston.com, visit Emma at http://www.emmacarlyle.com, and visit Anastasia at the Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers blog

20 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Enjoy your newfound freedom, and good luck!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

Rose Anderson said...

Best luck Lois. :)

Rose

Kathleen Kaska said...

Best of luck to you, Lois. I admire your courage. It is a scary, and ever-changing publishing world out there.

Jennifer Harlow said...

FREEDOM!! You've got a smart, savvy head on your shoulders. You'll be just fine. :)

Beth Groundwater said...

Love the blurb for your short story, Lois. It sounds like a really exciting read! And I agree with everything Jennifer said.

Lois Winston said...

Thank you, Morgan, Rose, Kathleen, Jennifer, and Beth! I'm certainly hoping for the best possible outcome. As the song goes, "Breaking up is hard to do."

Unknown said...

What they said! We do live in "interesting times," as the Chinese curse puts it, and not least in the publishing universe. Change is always hard, but it's the only way to find new and often better things. Lead on!

Jill Archer said...

I have no doubt you will reach the top of the mountain! I love to hike. One of my favorite things? Some of the best views are the ones on the way to the top. Enjoy your journey, Lois!

Lois Winston said...

Thank you, Sheila and Jill. Definitely interesting times, and once I get to the top of that mountain, i will enjoy the view. I've always loved heights, probably because I'm so vertically challenged. ;-)

Kathleen Ernst said...

Wishing you all the best, Lois! I suspect Anastasia will land on her feet, with eager readers at the ready.

Kathleen Ernst said...

PS - LOVE the cover for Crewel Intentions!

Sharon Hopkins said...

You may have made the wisest move. All best!

Lois Winston said...

Thank you, Kathleen and Sharon! The cover for Crewel Intentions was a collaboration between me and my son. I provided the crewel embroidery; he provided his computer talents.

DirtyMartini said...

Yeah, I'm not big on change either...unless it's from a vending machine...but, wish you luck nonetheless...

Cheers,
Alan.

Mia Marlowe said...

Publishing is a constantly changing beast these days. I've been trying to straddle both worlds, writing for Kensington & Sourcebooks as well as dabbling my toe in the self-pubbed waters. It's a brave new world. Good luck, m'dear!

Lois Winston said...

Thanks, Alan and Mia!

Polly Iyer said...

In making life changes, we question what the status quo isn't giving us and what the new opportunities offer. You must have answered that or you wouldn't have made the change. No second-guessing now. It's time to move forward and make your choice work for you. In this exciting time of artistic independence, we don't have to wait for someone else to validate our work. You'll succeed. You already have.

Pamela Beason said...

I know what you're going through. I have both traditionally published mysteries with Berkley Prime Crime and indie books with WildWing Press. It's a challenging time for most authors right now, because the rules of the game seem to change almost daily. May you discover the magic key to the kingdom!

Deborah Sharp said...

Yikes! Watch our for falling rocks (to continue the hiking/mountaineering metaphor) Seriously, your family of Midnight Ink authors is going to miss you. But you're a smart, savvy gal, and I know good things are ahead for you. Keep us posted....

Lois Winston said...

Thanks you, Polly and Pamela!

Deborah, I'll still be hanging around here for a bit. I love my fellow MI authors. Hope to see many of you at Malice.