Monday, May 2, 2016

Delightful Malice Domestic

by Linda O. Johnston

Today is the second day of May--and its first Monday, my InkSpot blogging day. 

Last weekend I attended one of the most fun conferences for cozy mystery authors and fans--Malice Domestic.  But a lot of you reading this might already know that since you were there, too!

I've gone to many Malices for more than ten years, and the annual conference has moved around the Washington, D.C., area.  This one was located at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Bethesda, MD, as it has been for several years.  That hotel could perhaps use some remodeling or refurbishing--and, lo and behold, I was told by one of the lobby stewards that when the conference returns next year the lobby, at least, will be different.  I don't know about the rest of the hotel, though.

In any event, it's a great facility and location for Malice, with lots of places to meet and eat and have events and panels and a lot of fun.

I got to meet up with some existing writer and reader friends and make new friends, too.  I saw my delightful Midnight Ink editor, Terri Bischoff, there several times, including joining her and other Inkers for dinner on Friday night.

My panel was The "Paws" That Detect: Animal Sidekicks, appropriate, considering all the dogs who appear in my two Midnight Ink mystery series--the Superstition Mysteries and the Barkery & Biscuits Mysteries.  My fellow panelists also write animal-related mysteries, so I think we and our audience had a lot of fun.

I noted that some copies of LOST UNDER A LADDER, my first Superstition Mystery, were included in the book bags given to Malice participants.  My second Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, TO CATCH A TREAT, was also available at the conference even though its official publication date isn't until May 8.  I had a great time signing copies at my group signing after my panel.


In all, it was a very enjoyable weekend.  Will I do it again next year?  Don't be surprised if I do!

No comments: