Sunday, April 12, 2009

What Type Is Your Blog?

Have you ever taken a "personality" test? Was it accurate? The Myers-Briggs tests and the Personal Styles quiz were developed in 1943 when there was great interest in what qualities made for good leaders--and with the unveiling of the horrors perpetrated by the Nazis, such tests took on a new question, "Can we predict the monsters who wear the faces of men?"

Various scientists and sociologists scrambled for answers as to how people could allow such atrocities to happen, how leaders could encourage large groups of people to act in ways so inhuman, and if we could predict behavior or tendencies.

Recently the Myers-Briggs has offered a new twist--they are analyzing blogs at http://www.typealyzer.com/

As I understand it, this is a project dedicated to the research about how the language reflects our psychological type, and thus our motivations and interests. The fundamental idea is that everyone of us use different personas or social roles at different moments. The major research aim of this project is to find and describe patterns in what interests different personas in terms of opinions, brands, media content etc.

So I decided to run the various blogs I'm part of through the gaunlet.

Here's what I found:

**Joanna Campbell Slan

http://joannaslan.blogspot.com/

(My "personal" blog which is geared to writing, marketing and promotion tips.)

ISTP - The Mechanics

The independent and problem-solving type. They are especially attuned to the demands of the moment and are highly skilled at seeing and fixing what needs to be fixed. They generally prefer to think things out for themselves and often avoid inter-personal conflicts. The Mechanics enjoy working together with other independent and highly skilled people and often like seek fun and action both in their work and personal life. They enjoy adventure and risk such as in driving race cars or working as policemen and firefighters. (Interestingly enough, my personal style is INFJ--which occurs in only 1.5% of the population--the least common style. That's an Introvert, who is iNtuitive with Feeling and Judgment. My exact opposite would be an Extrovert, who is Sensing with Thinking and Perceiving...stay tuned and you'll see an example of that Type of blog!)

**Killer Hobbies Blog

http://killerhobbies.blogspot.com/

(The blog I started with Deb Baker and now share with five other mystery writers--Camille Minichino/Margaret Grace, Monica Ferris, Linda O. Johnston, Terri Thayer, and Betty Hechtman--who focus on hobbies and pastimes.)

ESFP - The Performers

The entertaining and friendly type. They are especially attuned to pleasure and beauty and like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells. They live in the present moment and don´t like to plan ahead - they are always in risk of exhausting themselves. The enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation - qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions.

**Inkspot Blog

http://midnightwriters.blogspot.com/

(The blog shared by Midnight Ink authors.)

ESTP - The Doers

The active and playful type. They are especially attuned to people and things around them and often full of energy, talking, joking and engaging in physical out-door activities. The Doers are happiest with action-filled work which craves their full attention and focus. They might be very impulsive and more keen on starting something new than following it through. They might have a problem with sitting still or remaining inactive for any period of time. (Um, see what I mean? This blog is my direct type opposite! Does that mean I can't participate? No, but it might mean that participation is more of a stretch for me. All styles indicate preferences for how we move through the world.)

** Okay, don't be shy! Run your blog through the analyzer and tell me--what's your Type? Does your online persona or blog truly reflect who you are? If you comment and include your blog address, I'll list you in my blog links at http://joannaslan.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Sarah Grimm said...

www.authorsarahgrimm.blogspot.com

ISTP-The Mechanics

This is my personal blog and I have to say that this analysis fits me. I love to go drag racing with my husband and tend to speed on the highway. Oops, I shouldn't admit that, should I?

Jessica Lourey said...

Fun link, Joanna! I'm the type of person who scoffs at personality tests but loves horoscopes. Go figure. :)

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Hey, Sarah, I thought that didn't fit me at all, but I do own the sports car version of the BMW convertible--and when I took it out for a test drive, my husband sat with white knuckles....hmmm, I'd forgotten that!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Alan, I think being an extrovert or introvert is very misunderstood. An extrovert receives energy from outside sources. An introvert prefers to recharge and revitalize by going within himself. I know that when I have a task--such as public speaking--I can do it, but afterwards I want time alone. So it makes sense that online you are "extroverted" because you are reaching out.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Jess, this isn't so much a personality test as a test of "preferences." It means that given your druthers, this helps explain how you would prefer to process the world. Does that help?

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

My blog, Babble 'n Blog (www.sueannjaffarian.blogspot.com), is ESTP - The Doers.

Hey, Alan, we're twinsies!

BTW, today I'm blogging about Celebrity Apprentice. Drop on by!

G.M. Malliet said...

That was fun. Here's the result:

INFP - The Idealists
[INFP]
The meaning-seeking and unconventional type. They are especially attuned to making sure their beliefs and actions are congruent. They often develop a passion for the arts or unusual forms of self-expression.

They enjoy work that are aligned to their deeply felt values and tend to strongly dislike the more practical and mundane forms of tasks. They can enjoy working alone for long periods of time and are happiest when they can immerse themselves in personally meaningful projects.

Sarah Grimm said...

Go Johanna! I can't get my husband to white knuckle it, even though he's a better driver. My car isn't a convertible, but it's got a HEMI.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

GM, I didn't realize you had an other blog. Please share the addy so I can put you on my list!

Sarah, a HEMI? Ooooooooooh, baby. Love that sound and that power.

G.M. Malliet said...

Joanna - It's less a blog than a place where I post the occasional notice. But the addy is
http://www.GMMalliet.com/blog.html
........and thanks for the add!

Deborah Sharp said...

interesting post, Joanna ... to my great surprise, my Mystery Gal personal blog
http://mysterygal-mysterygal.blogspot.com/
came out in The Performers category.
Interesting, because like Alan, I was definitely an introvert when i completed this test way back in grad school. this AUTHOR persona I've created for myself is apparently much more out there and entertaining (?) than the real me.

Anonymous said...

Hello
http://www.loveinactioninc.com/ - buy levitra

Patients with diabetes or those who have undergone surgery for prostate cancer have a 70 percent success rate as reported by Levitra?s manufacturers.
[url=http://www.loveinactioninc.com/]generic levitra[/url]
Other side effects are normally short-lived and mild and die away away as the body adjusts to the medication.
cheap levitra

Levitra has minimal side effects on vision and the heart.