Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Your Turn

100_2617A glance at the calendar tells me it’s summer, mid-August to be exact.

A glance at the thermometer confirms it.

Which means it’s vacation time. And one of my favorite things to do on vacation is golf gamble hike eat travel sight-see read!

So I thought I’d throw the blog open today to recommendations. Now, these don’t have to be “beach” reads. They can be any books you’ve read lately that you’re really passionate about. Something that you can be an evangelist for. (To keep this from becoming a Midnight Ink-fest, let’s exclude books written by MInkers.)

I’ll go first.

I read a lot of books, and most of them fall in the pretty-good-to-mediocre range. But every once in a while, I’ll read a gem that I really, really wish I’d written myself. One that I’ll recommend to other readers without even being asked for a recommendation. One I’ll even Tweet about!

One recently-read book that rocked my world was THE LOCK ARTIST by Steve Hamilton. (Of course, it’s not like this was a lucky find. It won an Edgar, for goodness sake!).

Now it’s your turn. What are some outstanding books you’ve read lately?

 

Alan

10 comments:

Lois Winston said...

Over the last several months I've read two books that ranked as two of the best I've read in a long time, WINTER GARDEN by Kristin Hannah and CITY OF SHADOWS by Ariana Franklin. I've been raving about both ever since finishing them.

Lisa Bork said...

SARAH'S KEY by Tatiana de Rosnay and THE KITCHEN HOUSE by Kathleen Grissom were my two favorites these past couple months.

Have a great vacation!

Robin Allen said...

I read The Lock Artist artist a while back and really enjoyed it.

The non-fiction book I've been recommending lately is Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba and Then Lost It to the Revolution by T. J. English.

The last best fiction I've read lately is The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas.

Right now, I'm reading Blood Hollow by William Kent Krueger. It's keeping my interest, partly because of all the descriptions of this really strange thing called "snow."

Shannon Baker said...

Anything by Tana French or Sophie Hannah.

Ingrid King said...

I finally read Pat Conroy's South of Broad, and it didn't disappoint. He hasn't lost his touch.

Terri Bischoff said...

I wish I had more time to read... makes me so very sad. :(

But who do I shout from the rooftops about? William Kent Krueger.

Darrell James said...

The Ridge by Michael Koryta. (Just discovered him will read him again.)

Sebastian Stuart said...

Savages by Don Winslow is AMAZING!

Beth Groundwater said...

I recently finished Quick Service by P. G. Wodehouse -- hoot out loud funny!

Deborah Sharp said...

Nothing truly world-rocking, but I did read a paranormal with an interesting twist recently, Angels Advocate. Main character is a lawyer (yeah, been there done that), but her clients come from wronged souls in the afterlife (!)