Sunday, November 11, 2007

Forensic University of St. Louis

My writing has suffered because I've been busy co-chairing Sisters in Crime’s first ever Forensic University of St. Louis, this last Nov. 1 through 4. The conference began as a crazy idea my friend Michelle Becker and I hatched. The national board of Sisters in Crime thought it worthwhile and supported us--in ways too numerous to count.

ForU attracted 114 attendees and showcased 16 presenters. Fifty folks who came in early Thursday traveled to the Bull’s Eye Shooting Range to shoot indoors. The conference proper spanned two and a half days with 30 different “classes” being offered. We also raised about $4,000 for the Crime Lab Project Foundation.

On Sunday, after we pronounced the group officially “graduates of the Class of 2007,” a member from our local chapter came up and embraced me. Her own writing schedule had precluded her from helping out. But she whispered in my ear, “I had no idea of the scope of what you were trying to do. This...this is just fabulous.”

Which begs the question, “What exactly WERE Michelle and I trying to do?” Besides have twin nervous break-downs, spend all our waking hours on conference related “stuff,” drop all our own writing entirely by the wayside, rope other people into this…this madness, and run around like a couple of chickens with their heads cut off?

Well, we had a vision. We thought the writing world needed a different sort of conference. Michelle and I wanted access to more information about the crime portion of our craft. We figured other people might need the same. And we were just crazy enough to think that two meeting planning novices could pull this off.

And we did. People are saying it was the best conference they ever attended. Don’t take my word for it. Check out Libby Fischer Hellmann’s post http://www.theoutfitcollective.com/ Donna Andrews’ comments at http://femmesfatales.typepad.com/ and Meg Chittenden’s comment posted on DorothyL: “I've been attending conferences and conventions connected with writing and/or mystery for over 30 years, and I have to say that this one was way up there.”

Yeah, I’m still digging through paperwork, finishing reports and answering emails. So, it's true: This took up a lot of my available energy and writing time. But to have a dream and to see it come true, well, that’s incredibly empowering. Besides, there were other compensations. Turns out, the bigger the gun, the better my aim. My husband and son have new respect for me. (Or maybe that's FEAR in their eyes. Who can tell?)


I’m curious. What cuts into your writing or creative time? Is that interloper worthwhile? Do YOU think I wasted my time?

12 comments:

Felicia Donovan said...

Joanna, word about Forensic U. is traveling all over the Internet. I've seen many references to it and all attendees appeared to have had a blast...errrr...great time. Congrats!

I just presented a "CSI vs. REALITY" program where I debunked many of Hollywood's perceptions about forensic work. It was extremely well-received. There is a need to explain to the general public what real law enforcement work is all about, not the "solve it in 60 minutes" myth that is so frustrating to me to watch.

What cuts into my writing time? Mostly the "real" job, but then again, I get to see dead bodies all the time, have forensically recovered deleted files from computers, worked with the FBI on identifying juvenile victims of pedophiles, and occassionally have guys rappeling down the side of the building. Not your average day at the office...

Keith Raffel said...

Joanna, Bravo on the conference. Terrific comments everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Rea life cuts into my creative writing time. Oh, and sloth. I don't think you wasted your time with the conference at all.

Candy Calvert said...

Joanna, it makes me drool with envy to have been there! Sounds as if you've begun something that will be a classic. Congratulations!

Jessica Lourey said...

You're an amazing woman, Joanna. Thank you for sharing so much energy with the mystery community. You are such a generous person!

G.M. Malliet said...

I'm with Paul here. Sloth wins, hands down.

Congratulations, Joanna, on such a winning conference.

Nina Wright said...

Joanna, that was a rhetorical question, right? Of course you didn't waste a moment of your time. You & Michelle made Mystery History by founding a new kind of conference.

Most of us lose writing time to mundane necessities, like struggling to pay the rent. Congrats to you & Michelle for thinking, acting, and living LARGE!

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Hey, guys, I needed that. It wasn't a rhetorical question. I'm behind on everything--and worrying that I should have been more dedicated to my writing. I know the conference was a great thing, but it's hard to weigh it versus my own, specific work goals, right?I guess the proof will be--in part--if we do it again. Meanwhile, I'm still digging out from under paperwork.

Mark Combes said...

It seems lately, the question for me is what DOESN'T cut into my writing time..... But the guilt is driving me back to the cave, as Jess calls it.

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

I hear you. Between guilt, other responsibilities, doubt and worry...it's a wonder ANY books get written.

Anonymous said...

I lose writing time speaking for events like Forensic University! But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Joanna, you two did an outstanding job. I was really proud to have been a part of the conference. it was one of the best ever! I'm still receiving comments about it.

Thanks for having me. I think you should schedule another one next month...

Joanna Campbell Slan said...

NEXT MONTH???

(And she ran screaming out of the room.)