Thursday, May 5, 2011

Malice Domestic, Second Books, and Jess Lourey's Launch



So many things have happened quite rapidly in the last couple of weeks that my poor brain is still spinning in my cranium!

I wound up at Malice Domestic with Alan and the rest of the very cool Midnight Ink crew along with fab editor Terri Bischoff over this past weekend. It was a great time! I only wish I'd been able to attend Oakmont and the Festival of Mystery at Mystery Lover's Bookshop Monday after Malice. It sounded like a hoot, and I'll be sure to do that next time. To hear it told, fellow MInker Alice Loweecey kicked a** and took names selling her debut book, Force of Habit!



Then when I got home, I got the news that my second book in my Shay O'Hanlon Caper series will remain titled, thanks to an Ellen Hart suggestion, Hide and Snake Murder. The cover is going to be purple and decorated with a six-foot long, neon-green, stuffed snake named Doodlebug. I'm lovin' it! It was just the juice I needed to really start seriously thinking about book 3, The Book of as Yet No Name.


Tonight I had the pleasure and honor of attending Jess Lourey's launch party at Pat and Gary's MWA Raven-Award-Winning bookstore Once Upon a Crime. Jess provided Octoberfest Beer straight from Germany, and of course, the standard Octoberfest staple, l'il smokies and BBQ sauce in a nice pot-luck crock pot. Top that off with the necessary Nut Goodies, and you can be sure a great time was had by all. Now, I hate to say, it's naptime. Why couldn't we appreciate those enforced snoozes in school when we were young??? What I would give for a manditory heads-down!

15 comments:

Deborah Sharp said...

Great to see you at Malice, Jessie ... and congrats on the next book and great title, Hide and Snake. Love that stuffed snake mascot, too! Now, if you can think of a way to wear it on your head . . .

Lois Winston said...

Jessie, it was so nice to meet you at Malice. I hope you get to F of M next year. Those of us who went had a blast. Love the book title, too!

Alan Orloff said...

Congrats on the next book! Snakes are ALWAYS fun! (and that's a great title). It was really cool meeting you and the other Inkers at Malice.

Darrell James said...

Jessie, I feel your pain. Conferences are great fun but can leave you wiped out for days.

Congrats on the next book.

Beth Groundwater said...

Jessie,
I loved getting to know you and hanging out with you at Malice. What a great gang of folks the Midnight Ink authors are!

I have finally had a down day on my east coast tour and was able to post some photos from Malice, the Festival of Mystery, and other events at my personal blog: http://bethgroundwater.blogspot.com/

Keith Raffel said...

Jessie, Why do you think Jess didn't invite me to her book launch? Was it something I said?

G.M. Malliet said...

Hide and Snake. Love it. Can Shake and Snake be far behind?

Jessie Chandler said...

Deborah, loved meeting you and Kerry! Maybe I could attach the snake to your veil!

Lois, awesome to meet the gal responsible for the Devil Dog LOL! Next year I'm gonna plan F of M!

Alan, although you didn't win, you're a winner in my book!! I'll keep the stuffed snakes and you can corral the real ones, okay? You are a fine gentleman, and I'm very happy to have had a chance to hang in the glow of your awesomeness :-)

Thanks for the congrats, Darrell! Maybe one day I'll get to meet you too!

Beth, it was very cool to see the river rapids rafting (??? Right?) gal!!! Thanks for the link to your blog. Most awesome!

Keith, didn't you get the invite?? They were written on beer bottle labels and sent via a bearded chubby guy in liederhosen!

Jessie Chandler said...

Gin, sorry to have missed you at Malice! I'm thinking maybe Shake n Bake Snake!?!

G.M. Malliet said...

Jessie - I am sorry to have missed you too. In general, I am wondering how in the world I missed seeing so many people. However, that place was very crowded and I didn't allow enough schmooze time. Lesson learned.

Kathleen Ernst said...

Wonderful to see you at Malice! The business end of writing isn't always cheerful, so it's important to have fun whenever we can. Love the title for book 2!

Alice Loweecey said...

Jessie, we had a great time at Malice! Love the book title. Gin, I'm sorry I missed meeting you in person. M'Inkers are a great group indeed!

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming to the book launch, Jessie 2. Everyone deserves to have someone as sunny as you in their life. Well, everyone good and cool.

Dru said...

It was nice meeting you Jessie. Congrats on the second book and I love the title.

Jessie Chandler said...

Sorry to have left these comments till now, folks, but I was splatted with a double doozy two-day migraine that decommissioned me for a bit. I'm back on the horse now, though!

Kathleen--great to see you again! And you're right, the biz end of this is not always fun and games, so get a laugh out of it whenever you can!

Alice, Alice, Alice--what could be more fun than belly buttons and table cloth napkins?

Jessie I--It was my pleasure to come to your book launch! If I manage to bring some sun and smiles to someone cool and fun as you, my day is good!

Dru--so happy to meet you as well! I cannot WAIT to see the cover of book 2!