Monday, January 7, 2013

Join Pinterest they said. It'll be fun they said.

by Jennifer Harlow


  

I am not a big fan of social media. Mostly because I'm not a big fan of being social. Hell, my cell phone is always turned off. Nothing against people, I love people, I'm just an introvert who doesn't like to draw attention to herself so she can do what she wants when she wants to. Yet I chose a life path where I have to draw said attention to myself to pay the bills. So with pushes from both my patron and agent I was forced to engage in social media. I have a Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Pinterest page. That last one I had to be dragged into kicking a screaming. "It's a useful tool for selling books," said my agent. She's regretting being a Pinterest pusher right about now. That site is like crack. Once you start you cannot stop until you've seen all the pics in a category. I mostly frequent the "Geek" and "Humor" sections. I look down at my Kindle Fire, and the next time I look up an hour has passed. And you can't just check it once a day, oh no. New content is uploaded ALL THE TIME. And it's all so good. So funny. 

I don't know if I've sold any more books because of my pinning, but I have learned quite a few things in the past month about my fellow mostly female and teenage humans:

* Forget Channing Tatum and Justin Bieber, scrawny pale British dudes are what all the teenage girls are dreaming about. Forget Robert Pattison even, no it's all about Matt Smith (Doctor Who), Tom Hiddleston (Loki) and Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock). Every damn picture in the Geek category features one of these men. They are the new pin-ups (literally) to American girls. I get it, I'm a Cumberbitch, but I've always been into this type of man. I just got shit for it. No Justin Timberlake for me, it was all about Ralph Fiennes in high school. And I was a weirdo for it. Seems I was just born ten years too early.

* People are really snarky. Once again, I am guilty of this too. (No duh readers, right?) But people are thinking and saying the same things I am too like "You are one smart-ass remark from us being featured on Deadly Women." Those words have passed (jokingly of course) from my lips and there it was on an e-card. Snark is in.

* There is a lot of creativity in the world. Not only do fans draw or Photoshop pictures of their geek favorites but some of the clothing combinations and bakery items are just downright interesting and beautiful. There are even mash-ups of fandom like combining Hunger Games with Harry Potter in really interesting ways. 

* Feminism isn't dead, it's just on Pinterest. There are more hate pins of Twilight than for it, mostly focused on how Bella compares to other vampire fighting characters. For every one pin about how wonderful getting married and having babies is there are three about it being okay to be single and if married, not putting up with an immature husband. Took the words right out of my mouth.

So basically I was shocked that there were so many people out there just like me. I have found my tribe and they are awesome. I just wish they'd stop telling me to Keep Calm.

What about all of you? Are you smoking the Pinterest crack? What do you enjoy looking up on it? Has anyone actually used it as a business tool, or like me do you just use it to stare at cute British boys?

And I keep forgetting. You can pre-order What's a Witch to Do? the first Midnight Magic book in a three part series. Here's the cover:



3 comments:

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

The cover of What's a Witch to Do? -- is awesome! I'm so drawn to it ~ you've found yourself a buyer right here!
I truly enjoy Twitter, it's an information-sharing device, and as a retired 21-year veteran police officer, I'm a big proponent of sharing information. I try limiting the time spent on social media, as it can become a time-evaporator -- which can be dangerous to writers! (I love that saying: "Being a good writer is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet.")
My 17 year-old daughter is a HUGE fan of the fellows you've mentioned (Matt, Tom, and Benedict); I had to tell her about your post ~ she smiled hugely!
She was drawn to LOKI in Thor (and I was puzzled, he was such a bad guy in the film), and then when we saw MIDNIGHT IN PARIS together, she was so excited to see Tom as F. Scott Fitzgerald (it was a bonus, neither of us knew he was in it). She recognized him immediately; I had no idea it was the same actor who portrayed LOKI. She has forced me to watch Benedict in Sherlock (I agree, he's cute), and she's made my husband watch Dr. Who with her (I haven't had time to get into that).
I dabble in Pinterest ~ and I agree, it can be tons of fun...I see that recipes are a biggie...I think the combination of visuals & info is such a draw on Pinterest. I jump on & off...too afraid to hang there for too long!
Best wishes with the new book, Jennifer ~ I'm off to pre-order!

Kathleen Ernst said...

Jennifer - I've avoided Pinterest because people tell me it's a time suck! But I'm tempted...especially after reading your post. :>)

Jennifer Harlow said...

Kathleens-It is a massive massive time suck. But a super fun one. I mainly use it to stare at cute British boys. And thanks for the nice words about the book. Hope you enjoy it!