Monday, November 1, 2010

Letting Madeline Speak for Herself

by Julia Buckley

This week when I posted my novel Madeline Mann on Kindle, I also began the sometimes weary process of promoting the book.

But then I remembered that, way back in 2007 when I initially sold Madeline Mann, Maddy had started her own blog. I unearthed this online diary and found that she had a lot to say. After all, Madeline is a reporter with an appropriately inquisitive mind.

One of her challenges, however, is being saddled with the nickname "Madman." This moniker was given to her by her brothers when they were all very young, and Madeline has been trying (unsuccessfully) to live it down ever since.

I'll let her tell you in her own words.

I'm thinking that Madeline might be better at telling her own story than I ever could be.

Do you let your characters tell their stories?

10 comments:

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Julia, congratulations on bringing Madeline out on Kindle. Will you be releasing more in the series?

Darrell James said...

Interesting take, Julia. Congratulations and best wishes for the series.

Keith Raffel said...

Delighted to see Mad Man on Kindle!

I'm just certifiable. It's not that the characters talk to me when I'm writing. It's that I become the character I'm writing about and write down what happens to him or her.

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Sue Ann. I have two more novels in this series, so we'll see how number one does. :)

Thanks, Darrell and Keith--and yes, I can relate to the idea of "becoming your character."

Lois Winston said...

You mean we're NOT supposed to become our characters???

Congrats with the release, Julia!
Lois

Jessica Lourey said...

The release of Madman is great news, Julia! Let the promotion begin!!! And this means you have to come to Bouchercon in St. Louis in September, right?

As to the question, I never listen to my characters when I'm not writing. I've already got too many people demanding stuff from me. ;)

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Lois.

Jess, it's good that you have that kind of control. I think I prefer to escape into my characters sometimes. :)

Lisa Bork said...

Julia, best of luck with your new release!!

Alice Loweecey said...

Congrats and good luck!

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Lisa and Alice!