Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Celebrating a Milestone

Yesterday I turned in book 6 in my Odelia Grey series to my publisher. Yep – book 6. I have 12 of them under contract to Midnight Ink, so that puts me and Odelia at the half way mark – mile 13 in a writing marathon that started many years ago.

In a publishing climate where most series seldom get beyond 3-4 books for one reason or another, I consider myself quite fortunate, if not blessed. Not only do I have contracts for an even dozen books in the series, but they continue to sell strong, including my entire back list. Each time a new Odelia comes out, the previous books enjoy a nice jump in sales.

It’s magic.

I’m also working on book #2 in my new vampire mystery series and book #3 in my Ghost of Granny Apples series. In total, I currently have 18 books under contract and I have delivered 9 of them to my publisher. Another halfway point. Another milestone.

It's exciting. It's my dream.

I found it fitting that this milestone was reached over the 4th of July weekend.

I pretended the fireworks were for me.

Sue Ann Jaffarian
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

11 comments:

Dru said...

Congrats on turning in Odelia #6. Having discovered your book late, I've enjoyed catching up with Odelia seeing what makes her tick.

Congrats on the longevity of your contract.

Deborah Sharp said...

Honey, those fireworks WERE for you. You're my idol, and a very nice woman as a bonus. Cheers, Sue Ann.

Alan Orloff said...

Congrats, Sue Ann! You ROCK! Try to squeeze in a little relaxation between the manuscripts. All work and no play...

Beth Groundwater said...

Wow, Sue Ann, I didn't realize you had 12 books in the Odelia Grey series under contract. That's some serious advance planning! Congratulations on reaching the half-way mark.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sue Ann--The fireworks *were* for you, girl! I specially arranged it. :) Congratulations on your success--both past and continued--with Midnight Ink!

Darrell James said...

I'm celebrating along with you, Sue Ann. You are the "star" to shoot for.

Kathleen Ernst said...

Woo-hoo! You do, indeed, rock.

Lois Winston said...

Wow, Sue Ann! You do rock! You're going to be giving Janet Evanovich some serious competition.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thank you all for your online hugs and good wishes.

Darrell, I'm so glad you said shoot FOR and not shoot AT.

Elizabeth - thanks, sugar, for the fireworks. I had no idea you were tight with the inner workings of Culver City. Nice to know.

Beth - Although I don't outline, after Midnight bought the first 6 Odelia books, I gave them a thumbnail synopsis for 6 more books that follow a story arc of my protagonist's life. They loved it. As long as sales stay steady and I don't lose my mind, I'll make it through the next 6. I've already started my notes for #7.

L.J. Sellers said...

Congratulations! You're a powerhouse, and I admire your productivity. I'm inspired to get cracking again.

Unknown said...

Knock 'em dead, babe!!