Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Someone Else's Voice


by Tom Schreck, author of the Duffy Series

I got sent a contract last week from Brilliance Audio. They're going to make an audio version of "Planter's Punch", the novella my buddy, Joe Konrath and I did.

I love audio books and always have one going. Right now I'm listening to a 24 hour version of the "Given Day" by Dennis Lehane that's been keeping me company for a few weeks during commutes.

Here's the thing though--I'm a little scared about whose voice is going to do Duffy.

When narrators suck it really ruins the listening experience. Robert B. Parker had his son do one of his books and he was dreadful. Darrin McGavin did Travis McGee and though he's a competent actor, he just never was McGee to me.

I don't get any say in it, of course.

I would prefer it not be Mel Gibson, RuPaul or any of the judges from "So You Think You Can Dance."

Brian Williams from NBC would be okay. If Jack Lord is still alive he can do it or Mike Connors from Mannix.

What if they give Duffy an Chinese accent or if he overannuciates the "Gs" at the end of words? That'll suck.

It might be cool if they had an Elvis impersonator be Duffy...maybe not.

I know who I'd want to do it. The same guy I'd have play him in a full length movie (Hollywood types--I can reached at tom@tomschreck.com).

Who, you ask?

Mickey Rourke.

Circa 1985. They guy in "The Pope of Greenwich Village" and "Angel Heart."

Is that too much to ask?

Mickey, you can reach me at the same email.

You can buy "Planter's Punch" here for the price of a cup of coffee. Alright, it would be expensive coffee.

5 comments:

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Tom, on the audio book contract!

Darrell James said...

I agree, Tom, the reader can make or break an audio book. My favorite rerader was the late Frank Muller. Congratulations on the audio book.

G.M. Malliet said...

This is so cool. Congrats, Tom.

Keith Raffel said...

Congrats to you and Joe. How about Joan Rivers as the audio talent?

Kathleen Ernst said...

Contracts! I hope the perfect reader gets the gig.